Losing more than 470 ml (two cups) of blood - through internal or external bleeding - is a life-threatening emergency.
- Losing more than 470 ml (two cups) of blood - through internal or external bleeding - is a life-threatening emergency.
- Not everyone experiences chest pain during a heart attack. Two thirds of heart attacks happen in the home.
- Several songs have the perfect number of beats per minute to maintain the best rhythm for performing CPR: Stayin’ Alive by the Bee Gees; Back to Life by Soul II Soul; Lay Your Hands on Me by Bon Jovi; Heartbreaker by Mariah Carey; and Rock Your Body by Justin Timberlake.
- It is a myth that you can beat hyperventilation by breathing into a paper bag. The best treatment is to coach the person to breathe more slowly.
- If teeth get knocked out, put them in milk. It creates a protective layer around the tooth supporting the root cells and tissues.
- In a suspected broken ankle, leaving the shoe on can form a splint while help is sought.
- To treat snake bite, do not apply ice to the wound, suck out the venom, or use a tourniquet. It is better to keep the injured site still and lower than the heart and to get medical help as quickly as possible. It is better to carry the injured person than to have him or her walk.