First Aid treatment guide for aquatic life injuries such as fish spine injury.
Patient Care; Aquatic Life Injury
- Perform a primary assessment and monitor the patient's Cycle of Care AB-CABS
- Once EMS has been contacted, obtain and follow local medical control directions for field treatment prior to their arrival; Keep the patient still and at rest; Treat for shock if needed
- If necessary, manage serious bleeding; If easily done, remove the embedded fish spines
- Immerse the wound in hot but not scalding water; Leave immersed for up to 90 minutes for pain relief and repeat this treatment if needed
- If hot water does not provide pain relief, apply a cold compress to the wound; Clean wounds with soap and water, apply local antiseptics, and seek medical assistance